Sunday, April 22, 2012

Raw Edges vs. Finished Edges Part 2

As I mentioned last week, I was taught to always finish an edge.   Finishing your edges on an applique for a project that will be washed or used a lot is important so that the edges do not fray.

Here is a link to a video tutorial that demonstrates the satin stitch for finishing an edge: Machine Applique - Satin Stitch

Here is a link that describes different ways on how to finish an edge: How to Applique

With wall hangings, I have more freedom in deciding whether or not finish the edges.  I think the finished edges give the appliqued pieces a heavier look or feel on the wall hanging.

My brother was  deployed overseas for sixteen months, he was very faithful in sending emails sharing his thoughts and experience during that time.  After he arrived home, I wanted to commemorate his service to our country with a special gift utilizing a couple of his emails and some pictures that represented his experience.   Thus, I made my first scrapbook/memory quilt.  So far, it is the only wall hanging I have  finished the edges of the appliqued pictures with a satin stitch.   I liked the heavy look around the edges for this particular quilted wall hanging. 


On some of my wallhangings, I like to enclose the raw edges of the pictures. I especially like to enclose the edges of the larger pictures I put on a wall hanging.


  When I leave the edges raw, I leave a white edge around the pictures so that I can use a straight stitch to sew the picture onto the background material.  I find that white edge can sometimes be distracting on larger pictures.


On my art wall hangings,  I leave the edges raw.  I do not want to draw attention to the edges.  I want the edges to blend together in some instances.  I think finishing the edges would be distracting and would take away from subject portrayed.
As with anything else in life, there is a time and place for everything and that includes raw vs. finished edges.


No comments:

Post a Comment