Friday, January 27, 2017

Goodbye Cataracts, Know Your Options


It has been too long since my last post.  I stopped creating last spring because my eyesight was getting worse, I was losing details and some of the colors were getting muddy.  I could see well enough, but the small details were fading, especially black on black.  With that problem, I stopped working on Finn because he had some dark colors; I stopped my art quilting altogether. 

I went for my yearly eye appointment in September.  To my surprise, my eye doctor said my cataracts are at a point where she could make a case with the insurance company to have them removed.   As a part of  our discussion, we talked about how my cataracts were not as bad as most of her patients when they get them removed.  She stated artistic people are bothered more by cataracts than the general population.  As you know, we are very in tuned to colors and details; the cataracts were robbing me of both.  I wasn't sure of either anymore.  Also, I had the famous halos which hindered the night driving.  I had a major concern, my age, I thought I was rather young to have my cataracts removed.   Again, she said it was because I was more aware of the effects of the cataracts than most people.  My eye doctor outlined my options for the replacement lens I could choose.   I wanted the bifocal lens that would eliminate the need for glasses.   I said I didn't care how much they cost.  Yes, they do cost quite a bit and insurance would not cover any of the cost.  She listened to my choice and then proceeded with her recommendation for me.  She recommended targeting my nearsighted vision.  Basically keeping me with my same vision and correcting it with glasses.  Her reasoning was because of my art work.  Yes, she considers art quilting art work!  She really took the time with her explanation.  She explained that whichever option I chose, there would be some compromises with my vision.  Further, she explained through her research and experience with other patients, she thought I would be most happy with this option.  It would give me optimal visual acuity for close up work.  I listened, but didn't really hear what she had to say, because I was in shock we were really having this conversation.  Well, I told her back in September, I would get it taken care of in January.  I had Christmas gifts and projects I wanted to complete.   I won't lie, I have been very scared these last several months, these were my eyes.  I knew it had to be done.  Everyone kept telling me it was one of the easiest, safest surgeries, but it was still nerve racking.   Every time, I thought about it a tear came to my eye.  Silly, I know, but reality.

In the following weeks, I talked to many people and even strangers, when I heard them mentioning cataracts.  This was a major life changing surgery that would forever affect the way I see.  I loved the idea of not wearing glasses ever again, but and the big but, was my art quilting.  After speaking with several people, I learned I was fortunate to have a doctor who presented and explained the different options.  In addition, I am lucky she took the time to know and understand how important my art quilting was to me.  I spoke to a member of  my quilting guild who recently had cataract surgery.  She claimed she had no idea there were so many options.  Her doctor corrected her vision for farsightedness, now she has to wear reading glasses and carry sunglasses.  She feels she doesn't see her close up work as well as she would like to see.  Unfortunately, hers is not the only story of not knowing the options.  Most people I talked to had their eyes corrected for farsightedness even if they had been nearsighted.  As in my case, they liked the idea of not having to wear glasses to drive, etc.  Now, they have some regrets because they have to carry around reading glasses and sunglasses.  I did hear one story that confirmed my doctor's research of  implanting lens for targeting seeing details in close up work; an artist.  I still pondered my options for weeks.  Another appointment was made with my doctor, this time dragging my husband along, to talk about the surgery and options again.

January 18th rolled around and the cataract in my right eye was removed.   A new lens was implanted correcting my vision for doing close up work.  It has been one and a half weeks and I have no regrets.  After my second appointment since my surgery,  I can see very fine details close up.  My close-up vision is sharp and clear.   I can see details and colors like I haven't seen in quite a while.  I am driving my husband nuts because I am constantly looking at objects and pictures holding one hand over my right eye and then my left eye comparing the two.  It is truly amazing the difference.  Unlike my right eye, I am ready for the surgery on the left eye.  I am ready for the healing process to begin and end.  I am chomping at the bit to get back to my art quilting.  Also, I am anxious to see one piece of work.   I remember thinking the colors of the trees were just too dark, and I used inktense pencils to lighten and brighten the colors.  Now, I wonder without the cataracts how the colors look.  I don't mind the thought of wearing glasses after the surgeries because that is what I know.  Many family members and friends do not understand my lens choice, but they are not quilt artists.  Also, I should mention I was nearsighted before the sugery, therefore this was not a radical change in vision for me.  There are many factors to consider when selecting the option that is best for you.  My only advice is make sure you find a surgeon who understands your lifestyle and explains all of your options.  Thank you, Dr. Melanie Sobel.

No comments:

Post a Comment