Sunday, July 29, 2012

Happy Birthday, Colleen

The best place to be on a hot day is in my basement working on a quilt.


After arranging and rearranging the photo drafts printed on paper, I finally found a layout I liked.  I have also decided to add some Celtic embroidery designs.



I was taught to tape the backing material on the kitchen floor; it gets an extra good cleaning that day.  The tape helps to keep the  backing from shifting while basting.



Next, I added the batting.  Then the top and basted all three layers together.

Colleen didn't request it, but I decided to include pictures of our Great Great Grandparents who immigrated from Ireland.   I hung it on my design board for a couple of days while I pondered how I would embellish it.


Today is Colleen's birthday and it is finished just in time.  The lace I added on the upper left hand area was hand made probably by our Grandmother or Great Grandmother.  My mother remembers it on a curtain that hung in her house.  The cross was made in Ireland, a souvenior Colleen brought home from her trip.



Here is a picture from the Badlands.  I can't even begin to imagine what the pioneers thought when they tried to cross this area in a covered wagon.


No comments:

Post a Comment