Sunday, January 20, 2013

Adding an Island (and thinking about design)


We enjoyed above normal temperatures last week.  This week reality sets in and the temperatures will return back to normal with a blast of cold air and of course no chance of snow. 

I decided just Janine with Toby in the picture, like the original, did not make for an interesting wallhanging.  Also knowing, a small island was in the distant background didn't hurt either, so.... I decided to try to make an island.

 
 
It took me a while to get started picking out the material thinking about which colors would give the allusion of being in the background.   Thinking about the elements of design, I repeated the colors and shapes in the forest on the island.  I think it keeps the eye moving left to right through the forest.
 

The lighter color I decided not to use for the water became the sky. Studying the island, I realized something was missing, it looked like it was floating.  It wasn't anchored in the composition.



It needed to look like it was reflecting in the water.



 

 We took a tour of the Under Amour headquarters in Locust Point.  This is a picture of their living wall.
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment