Sunday, April 21, 2013

Bringing an Amaryllis to Life


 The bundle was delivered safe and sound from Chadick and Rosen just as promised.  Now the hunt is on for the trim.    We did some searching in NYC, but we were not sure what we were looking for. There are plenty of places in Baltimore and Washington to look for it.  We will know what we want when we see it.
 
 
I have always wanted to grow an amaryllis during the winter, so this year I finally did it.  The payoff was this beautiful plant.  Not one bloom, but two.


I decided to turn the photo from color to black and white to a pencil sketch.  It made it very easy to make the pattern.
 


I wanted to treat the amaryllis as a "still life".   I didn't want a plain simple background, so I decided to use different materials and piece it together.   As I pieced it together, I kept placing the pattern of the flower over the background to visualize how the flower would look on the background.  The dark color with the  flower is velvet to add a different texture. 

When we were in North Dakota on one of our trips, we stopped in Mitchell to see the Corn Palace.


The pictures are made with corn husks.
 

It is really something to see.  It reminded me of piecing a quilt.
 



 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment