Saturday, June 30, 2012

Yard Sale Finds

I admit I am a yard sale junkie.  I can't wait for the season to begin in March.  My husband hates it, because we set the alarm for 6:30 on Saturdays from now until late October.   If you want the good junk, you have to get an early start.  With addresses and maps in hand, Mom and I hop in the car and we're off on our mission looking mainly for material, embellishments, and items for my sister's juvenile diabetes tea fundraiser.  Her oldest daughter has type 1 diabetes and every year she has a "diabetes tea" as a fundraiser.  We look for new or nearly new items to put in goody bags for the tea and other items she can give as party favors.  This helps her to keep the costs down, so that the money she raises goes directly to the Juvinile Diabetes Foundation and not on expenses.  She is able to get many donations to help her with the tea.  We have found some really nice items to send her in Alaska.  Our stopping time at 10:00 AM, because we have found that the "good stuff " is gone by then.

I haven't found much material this year at yard sales.  Last year, I was able to buy several pieces of suede, and I did luck into a quilter's stash who was down sizing.  Also, I bought beads, buttons and other embellishments.

A strong storm blew through last night with winds clocked at 70 miles an hour in Washington , DC.  The temperature at Reagan Airport was 106 degrees, so I am told.  We are one of the lucky ones who lost power last night and we are still without electricity.  I am posting this tonight, so I don't have to worry about running out  my computer battery.

Last night, we went to DC to see the Marine Corp Evening Parade that occurs every Friday night from about May to October at the Marine Corp Barracks in SE.  It was hot, but fun.



No comments:

Post a Comment