Sunday, October 28, 2012

Daughter's First Home

I love October with it's cool crisp feel in the air, the autumn colors taking over the trees, flowers, and sky, the smell of apple pie baking in the oven and everything else that comes with autumn.

Also, like everyone else in the Maryland area, we have prepared our home as well as our yard, and we are awaiting the arrival of Sandy.  Hopefully, the weathermen are wrong and it doesn't pan out the way they are predicting.

My daughter like everyone else was very proud when she bought her first home.  It's a very nice townhouse in sunny Florida.  As you can tell it is a very different style from her
brother's home.  First, she doesn't have a huge cherry tree looming in the front yard.  Secondly, she has a garage and no basement. 






Looking at her house in black and white, I see that the garage is darker than her front entrance.  The front door area is probably lighter due to the angel of the sun and its reflection off the right wall.  The white trim is the same shade in all three areas of the house.  The windows of her home are black because the shades are open. The darkness of the grass is the same as the roof.  The car, even though it is blue, is the darkest and the sharpest contrast.  Just like in the photo, I think I will make her car the focus of the picture.   I will use the black and white photo to make the pattern.  I will take a couple of days to study the photograph and to pick the material.  Still being at the bottom of the learning curve, it takes me longer to make decisions.

It will be easier to make a picture quilt of her home, but it will be challenging to make it interesting. The lines are very simple and distinct. The transparency of the glass on her car will offer a challenge. I think that I will use thread to pronounce the highlights and not paint as I did with my son's home.  Again, I plan to continue to venture out of my comfort zone in the making of this quilt.  The only way to grow is to leave the comfort of the known and familiar; and to take risks. 

My love for azaleas grew from my grandparents.  Their yard was filled with them.  This photo was taken at Brighton Dam.





 

No comments:

Post a Comment