Sunday, October 7, 2012

Making a Tree Look Like a Tree

 
It may only be October, but I am in the process in the making the first loaves of Christmas Bread for the season. I travel the first weekend in November to visit my uncle in Florida and I always bring him a loaf of the Christmas Bread. I have continued the Christmas tradition that was brought over to this country by my Grandmother from Czechoslovakia.  I can remember that 12 hour process of making the bread with her.  The time has been shortened with the help of the bread machine. I let the machine do the mixing and some of the kneading, but I do the rest. Next weekend, I will make the Christmas cookies to take to him, another family tradition from the old country.
 

Critically looking at the wallhanging, I didn't like the way the steps just ended at the grass line, so I removed them.  I will worry about them later.  This week I worked very hard to make the tree look like a tree and not a "lollipop" tree.  The leaves took awhile to do.  Three different shades of green were used for the leaves.  I didn't really have a plan, I just did it.  I tried to place the colors to keep your eyes traveling around the tree.  I know some spots, the material was layered a little thicker than it should be, but practice will help solve such problems.  On the door trim and windows, I painted in the details to help give the illusion of depth and form.  Also, highlights were painted on the bushes.  It was a very busy week, not much housework was done. 

 
Here is a picture of the Jefferson Memorial in April surrounded by Cherry Blossoms.




 

No comments:

Post a Comment