Sunday, December 2, 2012

Coneflowers - A rite of passage?

 
 
What is it about the coneflower and quilters?  Is it a rite of passage in quilting?  Several books I have read, blogs and websites visited, usually showcase one quilt with coneflowers.  Now, I plan to do my version of a cone flower. 
 
 
 This is a picture of a coneflower I took this summer during the intense heat.  
 
 
 As usual, I converted the photo to black and white.  Then I put tracing paper over it and traced the shapes.
 
 
Here is the traced pattern of the flowers.
 

  The background in the photo was comprised of several shades of green and I couldn't decide on a single solid color.  So, I decided to piece together the background for my quilt.  While doing the piecing, I kept putting the traced flowers over the background trying to imagine the flower on it.  This first step in making my quilt  definitely took me out of my comfort zone.  The only way to grow and learn is to take risks.  This is risk number 1 for this quilt. 

 

 
Alaska in early spring.......burrr, looks too cold to me!  No, I haven't been to Alaska in the deep cold.  My sister sent me this picture of her daughter.
 
 



Alaska in the summer.....more, my type of weather.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment