Sunday, December 16, 2012

The Butterfly Emerges


Christmas is quickly approaching, and I'm ready.  Presents are bought, wrapped and under the tree waiting for the big night.  In our family we open our gifts on Christmas Eve.  This tradition goes back to when my grandfather's family owned a farm.  The farm chores still had to be performed on Christmas day, so they celebrated on Christmas Eve.
 
 
Original photo
 

Instead of putting the butterfly on the flower on the right as in the original picture, I put it on the flower on the left.  In addition, I made the wings spotted with yellow and purple.  I think the butterfly has become the focal point of my picture. 



To get an idea of how the composition looks, I converted the picture to black and white.  The stems blend into the background, but instead of switching the material, I will try to give them more contrast with embroidery thread.   I think there is too much background to the right of the flower, it looks off balanced.

 
 Right now, in this stage of my learnig curve for quilting, I like putting the thin strip of material around my picture before adding the border.  I like the "matted" look. 
 


I am glad I trimmed off some of the background that was on the right hand side.  to me, the overall compositon looks better balanced.




 It is really to be sandwiched together and  ready to be quilted.



 An old dredger left over from the gold mining days in Nome, Alaska.

No comments:

Post a Comment