Sunday, December 23, 2012

Using Thread to Hightlight Features

Today, I am looking forward to going to Eastern Market on Capitol Hill in Washington, DC.  It has the look and feel of open air markets you would find in Europe.  I love it at Christmas time with the hussle and bussle of people searching for that perfect gift; people buying trees then carrying them home; and musicians playing their instruments.  There is nothing better than the overall good cheer you feel in the atmosphere this time of the year even though recent national events have sprinkled it with some sadness.  If you haven't done so in the years past, it is fun with children to track Santa on NOAA all day December, 24th. I hope everyone has a Merry Christmas!


This is the first quilt, I really put alot of thought into the quilting of the overall project.  I really hoped the stitching would beome apart of the overall design and compostion.  Excited to step way beyond my box, I decided to quilt the seeds first. 

 
Brown embroidery thread was used for continuity, because I did a different free motion stitch on seed.  Next, I did the petals.  A light pink thread was used at the end of the petals and a darker thread was used closer to the seeds.


 
On the upper part of the background, I did a fern looking stitch to make it look like more plants in the background. 
 

  
I need more practice at sewing curves, my stitching is not very good.  That too will come with practice.
 


On the botton, I did loops and leaves.


 
 
 Looking at the cold Bering Sea in the summer.  This time of the year it is frozen over with thick ice.  My brother-in-law wrote on Facebook that winter has arrived, temperatures are around -27 degrees......too cold for my blood.

No comments:

Post a Comment